Marysville native Jarred Rome advances to finals in men's discus...

BERLIN, Germany--Marysville-Pilchuck HS graduate Jarred Rome (left/photo by Paul Merca) had the fourth furthest throw in Tuesday morning's qualifying round to advance to the finals of the men's discus throw at the Olympiastadion.

In the second flight of the competition, Rome threw 65.51 meters (214-11) to be one of seven men achieving the automatic qualifying mark of 64.50 meters (211-7) and move on to the finals, which will commence on Wednesday night at 8:10 pm, Berlin time (11:10 am in Seattle).

Afterwards, Rome told USA Track & Field, "This is the best I have ever felt for a major championship. In 2005, I got seventh. I was a few centimeters away from medaling. This year, I started the year slow. I was feeling OK in nationals. I made the team. I've been over here for two months, since nationals, just training. My warm-ups were good, all over the qualifier. My first one, I think, I got the nerves a little bit. The second one, I hit really hard, 65.50. I'm ready to medal."

Washington State grad Ian Waltz was 14th overall in the two combined flights with a toss of 62.04 meters (203-6), a mark he set in the final round, after the officials initially ruled it a foul.

Mart Israel of Estonia, who attended the University of Washington during the 2006-07 academic year, also did not qualify for the finals of the discus, as he only threw 59.58 meters (195-6) in the first round, before aggravating an upper leg injury on his second throw.

In Tuesday night's competition, Rainier Beach HS grad Ginnie Powell will run in the first round of the women's 100 meter hurdles at 6:10 pm Berlin time (9:10 am in Seattle).

For more information on the IAAF World Track & Field Championships, be sure to visit http://berlin.iaaf.org.

Comments