Lagat is an oh-so-close second to Mo Farah in world champs 5000 final...

DAEGU, Korea--Washington State University alumnus Bernard Lagat (left/photo by Paul Merca) earned his sixth career IAAF world track & field championships medal with a second place finish in an exciting men's 5000 meter run as the championships concluded its nine day run at Daegu Stadium, in a time of 13:23.36.

After a moderately paced first kilometer crossed in 2:50.90, the pace began picking up in the third kilometer, with Lagat tucked in behind eventual winner Mo Farah of Great Britain and the Beaverton based Nike Oregon Project.

In the fourth kilometer, the pace sharply accelerated to 2:42, setting up for what eventually became a kickers' race, as Farah jumped out to the lead entering the last lap, and held on for the victory in 13:23.36.

Lagat's plan was to try and run down Farah with 80 to go, but was bumped and boxed entering the home straight.

"My finish was strong, but I felt myself boxed, and I just couldn't get out. I'm not making any excuses. I was waiting until 80 meters to go to move, but got boxed."

Talking about his race plan, he said, "I was keying on Mo Farah, because he was the strongest runner, and so I kept on his shoulder the entire way. I was in position until I got bumped and boxed."

Looking forward to 2012, Lagat said, "I need to learn for 2012 that in order to position yourself to win, you have to stay out of trouble."

Complete final day results from the IAAF world track & field championships are available here.

Comments