It's official: Huskies announce Crater as new throws coach...

Following up on the story we broke Thursday, the University of Washington officially announced Friday that TJ Crater (left/photo courtesy Penn State University) was appointed as the new throws coach.

"I had interviewed him a few years ago and I was impressed with what he did at Central Washington with limited resources. His athletes just always continued to improve," says Washington head track & cross country coach Greg Metcalf. "T.J. has ties to the Northwest, and he understands the culture and the history of Washington and has a great appreciation for it. He has had great success at Penn State and I believe he is definitely the right man to lead our throws program."

"This was obviously somewhat of a surprise, but once the position became available, my wife and I were very excited and going through the process we couldn't wait to make the move," said Crater. "I've known Coach Metcalf for 10 years now dating back to when I was an athlete at Idaho. I can't describe how excited we are to get back to the Northwest and work in a program with a very storied history in the throws and all of the resources and people in place to help build on that tradition. I can't wait to get on campus and build the next set of great Husky throwers."

Echoing a sentiment told to paulmerca.blogspot.com from several members of the local throwing community, some of whom are actively coaching at area high schools, Crater says one of his first steps will be reestablishing UW as the number one place to go for in-state throwers. "Keeping Washington athletes at home is a high priority for me, so I'm excited to get familiar with the talent in the state and make sure we're on their radar."

You can read the official University of Washington release here.

NOTE: The University of Washington sports information office contributed to this report.

Comments