A tough day for throwers Israel and Rome in Olympic discus qualifying round...

LONDON--It was a tough morning for Washington affiliated athletes as day four of track and field competition got underway Monday at Olympic Stadium.

Two-time Olympians Jarred Rome (left/photo by Paul Merca) from Marysville along with former Husky and last year's surprise fourth place finisher at the world championships, Märt Israel from Estonia competed in separate flights of the discus, with both not able to advance to Tuesday night's finals.

Israel, whose season best was 213-4 (65.02m) got things started with a first round toss of 195-6 (59.60m), then followed with a foul in round 2.

Israel got the discus out to 197-11 (60.34m) in round 3, which was his best of the day.

In the following flight, Rome had two straight fouls, then was only able to get a mark of 195-5 (59.57m) on his final attempt of the qualifying round.

Afterwards, Rome told the media, “That was the worst feeling day I’ve had in couple of years. My practice two days ago was probably the best practice I’ve had in a couple of years. I really don’t know what happened. My first throw hit the cage, and I think that rattled me a bit. I backed off a bit on my next throw and it didn’t go anywhere. On the last throw I tried to hit it and missed. It’s over before you know it.”

Monday night finals at Olympic Stadium include the women's pole vault, shot put and 3000 steeplechase; and the men's 400 and 400 hurdles.

Day four results are available here.

NOTE: USA Track & Field and the IAAF contributed to this report.

Comments