We are off to Kampala for the world cross country championships!

Those of you who follow either myself or the blog (or both) on social media (i.e., Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) probably know that I’m in transit to cover the IAAF World Cross Country Championships in Kampala, Uganda, which will be contested on Sunday March 26th.

As I write this piece from Boston’s Logan International Airport, I’ve just been hit with the first surprise as the TSA has announced that flights from eight countries to the USA, including the United Arab Emirates, will not let passengers carry on board items such as laptops and cameras.  Now this would not be a big deal, except that I will be coming home via Dubai International Airport.


Needless to say, I’m not too happy about this turn of events, especially the speed in which the current administration has decided to enforce this.

I will be writing updates for USA Track & Field while I’m in Kampala, so I suggest you also visit usatf.org for more information about Team USA at the championships, including the three athletes with Washington ties—Eleanor Fulton (above/photo by Paul Merca), Marisa Howard and Gavin Parpart.  Fulton and Howard will run in the first mixed 4 x 2k cross country relay, while Parpart will run in the men’s Under-20 8k race.

In addition, incoming University of Washington freshman Shona McCulloch will run for Team Canada at the world championships.

We will do our best to update you with coverage of meets involving our local teams competing during the spring break period this week.  I’d also encourage you to visit the track & field web sites of your favorite Washington college or university, and also check out the tfrrs.org web site for results.


Our coverage begins from Kampala on Thursday!  See you on the other side of the world!

Comments